Wednesday, June 27, 2012

DIY Full Length Mirror

DIY Full Length Mirror


This weekend I decided to turn my old ugly full length mirror, that I had sitting in a closet, into something more stylish.  This project was so easy and cheap.


Supplies
Full length Mirror
2 1x4x8 boards of white wood
Stain of your choice
Gorilla Glue
Liquid Nail
Staple Gun
Miter Saw
                              
Step 1- Get a full length mirror from Walmart or Target Just get the cheap one because you're going to take off the trim around it anyway.  It should only cost around $5.


Step 2-  Take the trim off from around the edges of the mirror.  It should come off pretty easily, but be careful not to break the mirror.  You're mirror should now look like the picture above.

Step 3- Go to Home depot or where ever you get your lumber from and by the supplies.  I used white wood because it's cheap, but you can use whatever you like.  Be sure to check out the clearance lumber in the back at Home Depot.  That's where I found all the wood for this project, and it only cost me $1.50 instead of $10.

Step 4-  Use a miter saw to cut the wood.  You can buy one of these for very cheap at the store.  My husband has a fancy one that he loves using, so he did this part for me, but the cheap ones at the store work just as well.

                                2 pieces at 49" from longest point to longest point

                                2 pieces at 17 1/4" from longest point to longest point

This is what it should look like when you're finished cutting.



Step 5- This is the fun part now you get to stain the wood.  I like the rustic look so I used a dark walnut stain, and wiped it off with a dry rag to give it that look.


Step 6-  Now you use your Gorilla Glue to glue the edges together.  Once that is done I used a staple gun to staple it together on the back, just for some extra support.

This is what it should look like once it's all glue together.


Step 7-  The last step is to use your liquid nail to glue the wood frame to the mirror.  I put some heavy books on top of the frame while it dried.

This is what it should look like once it's finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment